Custom Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Busy Board

I've seen these around for a while now, and I couldn't wait to make one for my son! My husband and I made this for him for Christmas this year and it has been a hit! It was one of the unwrapped gifts that "Santa" left for him, and he RAN to it when he saw it! It was precious. 



So, here's what we did. I went out the garage to see what kind of scrap wood we had left. I found a piece of MDF. I knew where I wanted it to go in his room, so I measured the space and cut it to size. You could have the guys at Lowes or Home Depot do that for you if you buy a sheet. {Other's have used wooden cutting boards if you want a finished edge} I found some leftover paint and gave it a couple coats.

Now the fun part. I went to our local Re-Use-It store. You could go to any hardware store, but if you shop the thrift shops, it'll be a LOT cheaper! One man's trash is definitely another man's treasure in this case! I searched the hardware bins for fun pieces that spin or move. Everything on there only cost me $10! {With the exception of the sliding lock ($4) and the wooden balls ($1), which I bought new.} So, all in all, this awesome Christmas present only cost me $15! I've seen these on Esty for as much as $70!

Using the thick MDF worked well for this since we attached pieces like the doorknob, that are more than just a screw. It took my husband probably about 30 minutes to attach everything.




The busy board has also become home to the few random action figures we have. C has fun trying to make them balance and stay on- working on some motor skills!


No comments:

Post a Comment