Custom Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

The BEST gluten free pie crust

I came up with this pie crust because I want to make gluten free cooking easy and less complicated! I've experimented with other recipes, but I didn't like all the small weird things you needed to have on hand.

Basically all I did was take a "normal" pie crust recipe and sub out the water for buttermilk. I always keep almond flour on hand and I like to use half all-purpose gf and half almond flour in most recipes, so that's the other change. But that is IT folks! 

This got rave reviews from my husband (diagnosed with celiac 2 years ago). Super flakey and not crumbly. Try it! You'll love it!


The BEST gluten free pie crust (makes 2 pie crusts)
1 1/4 c all purpose gluten free flour
1 1/4 c almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 c cold butter, cubed
6 T milk + 1T lemon juice (or 7T buttermilk)


Instructions:
Mix milk and lemon juice and set aside.

Combine flours and salt. With a pastry blender or food processor, cut in cold cubed butter until pea-size or slightly larger.

Pour in milk mixture (or buttermilk) and toss with a fork to moisten. Knead together quickly but thoroughly.

Divide into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out dough and put in pie dish. Fill with filling and bake! If cooking just the shell, bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Makes 2 pie shells.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment